Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Trying out the KTM 1190 Adventure

Trying out the KTM 1190 Adventure 2 months 1 week ago #1

• Buggles
  • Thank you received: 14
I have the new bike itch something bad... Not sure why, there's nothing wrong with my current bike ('07 990 Adventure), but something's itching!

So today I went for a test ride on the 1190 Adventure and Adventure R.

I have to admit, they're both great bikes. Whichever bike journo first paired the words "Stonking" and "Engine" together, must have done so thinking of KTM's 1190 block. The power is stupendous! It's more subtle than the 990 (or at least more subtle than mine) which can be a bit binary on the throttle sometimes, but once you roll it on there's sooooo much of it! You can really feel the difference between the various riding modes (I tried "Street", "Sport" and "Rain"). I didn't spend enough time on the regular adventure to feel the difference in the suspension setups (the "R" doesn't have electronically adjustable suspension).

The "R" sits up a bit straighter than the regular Adventure, and you notice the bigger front wheel in the turns. It's actually a little higher than my 990 ADV; on the "R" I can only flat foot one side at a time, whilst the regular adventure (and my 990) lets me put both feet on the ground. For some reason, the "R" felt more planted, and even though the handlebars are identical, I felt like my elbows were sticking out more on the "R" compared to the regular adventure (most likely my imagination).

The clean air you get on the "R" is amazing (I'm 5'10), compared to the constant buffeting on my 990. However, once you move the fairing to the higher position, the quiet air is gone. In return, the pressure is taken off your torso some, but I'm not sure that's a trade-off I'm happy with. The wind protection on the regular adventure is good, more buffeting than the "R", but less pressure, and overall less buffeting than the 990.

I really liked both bikes, but I'm not sure they warrant the massive amount of money I'd have to fork out, even with the trade-in of my 990... Then again, I can't put them out of my mind completely either...

I may wear a small dent in the fence I'm currently sitting on, but long term the fence is probably more comfortable than my 990 seat :-)

JB
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: James

Trying out the KTM 1190 Adventure 2 months 1 week ago #2

• James
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 83
Great write up amigo. :ride: Any pictures Buggles?

Re:Trying out the KTM 1190 Adventure 2 months 1 week ago #3

• Buggles
No pictures I'm afraid! I only pulled over to fiddle with the windscreen settings :-)

I'm not quite done testing the 1190 though, and my dealer expects the prices to go down as many owners are trading in their 1190 for the new 1290.

The one I tested yesterday was 2 years old with 12k (KM) on the odometer, and the owner had already traded it for the 1290...

To be continued...

JB

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Trying out the KTM 1190 Adventure 2 months 1 week ago #4

• James
  • Administrator

This one?
I had a good play on the 1050 and it was nimble and throwable I fell in love with the bike. The 1290 is a great tourer but she is a big ole girl with a stack of torque, around 144 Newtons of force :woohoo: I think the 1190 may well be the best of both worlds.

Trying out the KTM 1190 Adventure 2 months 1 week ago #5

• Buggles
Yep, that one and the "R" below.

Both great bikes, and I agree they could be the goldilocks bike of KTM. You really notice the smaller front with the regular adventure, but as I'm used to a 21" front, it felt almost too light to me.

Didn't get a chance to play with the electronic suspension setup on the regular ADV much, and I really liked the feel of the "R", it somehow felt more planted.

So, happily on the fence I'll sit for a little longer!

JB

Trying out the KTM 1190 Adventure 2 months 1 week ago #6

• James
  • Administrator
I did test the electronics on the 1290 due to the review but to be honest I never really bothered for the 1290, day to day riding it was so well made that it was not much of an issue to my riding style. Nice to have, until it breaks and you have to pay for it to be fixed :lol:

Sometimes, less is more.

What are the retailing at over there in mainland Europe?

Trying out the KTM 1190 Adventure 2 months 1 week ago #7

• Buggles
The odds are against me doing long rides these days, so having a bike that can comfortably blast to a destination on the motorway is becoming a consideration. In that respect, I like the regular Adventure better.

The 2015 "R" I tested had 12k KM's on the ODO and was going for EUR 15k, I've found similar ones (but from 2014) for 13.5k as well. Most of them come without panniers, so that's another 500-1000 euros I'd have to spend. At the bare minimum I need a top box.

The regular adventures are going for a little less, but not by much. I've seen a couple nice ones with low mileage, and some of the extra's I'd want (like panniers and heated grips) for around 13.5K as well.

If I do bite the bullet, I may sell the 990 privately to have a bit more cash from the sale and a better bargaining position with the dealership. Still, it's a hell of a lot of money!

JB

Trying out the KTM 1190 Adventure 2 months 1 week ago #8

• James
  • Administrator
Yes, yes it is! But great bikes.
I've just spent £1800 on a XJ900S and £4 on polish :brum: But then I'm looking at this one as a bit of a project and after the 'change in circumstances' this bike will suit me well for what I am going to be doing on it.... plenty of trips around the UK and Europe with little gravel patches for fun and as little mud as possible. I'm thinking bot a 250cc Trail for the muddy stuff after a glorious 2 days with MotoScotland - there will be a review in the next issue mate.

Trying out the KTM 1190 Adventure 2 months 1 week ago #9

• Buggles
James wrote:
Yes, yes it is! But great bikes.
I've just spent £1800 on a XJ900S and £4 on polish

That's why I buy adventure bikes, no need to polish them. The dirt just makes it look better!

I washed mine for the first time in 8 years when I wanted the dealer to quote me on the trade-in

:dirt:

JB

Trying out the KTM 1190 Adventure 2 months 1 week ago #10

• James
  • Administrator
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ex- British Forces mate, I'm institutionalised ....

I wash everything and polish it, if it can't be polished then you paint it... and then polish it
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds