Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: These big daft "bike" tents

These big daft "bike" tents 7 months 3 days ago #1

• Yodagoat
  • Thank you received: 1
What the hell are they all about? Why would you want to put your bike in your tent?
Security? Why camp somewhere that is so bad that you need the security of having your bike in your tent?
To work on the bike? Trust me, you don't want to work on your bike in a tent. If it's that bad put a tarp up.
These big tents are, well, big. ridiculously big. They're crap in the wind too, I've seen a few of them flattened by the wind up north. Who's actually using these daft, overpriced shelters?

Mike
The administrator has disabled public write access.

These big daft "bike" tents 7 months 1 day ago #2

• James
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 84
I do like 'larger' tents, as in 3 man but I'm concerned about the bike tents and the damn thing falling on me! I loved my Vango 300 Icarus

I would just use a stuff sack so it was kinda small by the time it was on the bike. Had a bit of an issue as the bag dropped over the side in the Alps and went on the exhaust. Because I stuff pack the hole, when I opened the tent, was like the reverse of making snowflake cutouts! :lol:

I have a few tents at the moment that I am trying out - I like room and I hate to crawl around but I do have the micro tent that I will give a testing when out and about this summer.

These big daft "bike" tents 7 months 1 day ago #3

• Yodagoat
phone pics from euro tour by Mike, on Flickr

I use the vango pulsar 300. Enough room for two of us for a few weeks, great in high winds and not to big so it's cold, but big enough for me to move about (I'm 6'3)
Last Edit: 7 months 1 day ago by Yodagoat.

These big daft "bike" tents 7 months 1 day ago #4

• Buggles
  • Thank you received: 15
I've been using the Khyam Biker for years now, after switching from a small hiking tent.

The Khyam easily sleeps two, including all the gear, and has a porch area where you can sit out of the rain, we could even fit all 4 panniers in there and leave our wet kit there to keep it out of the main tent.

It's really easy to put up, as all the poles are attached to the tent already. As a result, it's quite big, but I've always had it slung on the pillion seat against the top box and it's never been an issue.

They're not cheap, but well worth it!

These big daft "bike" tents 7 months 1 day ago #5

• Yodagoat
I wouldn't agree with you there Biggles. My mate used a Khyam Biker for ages. They're crap in the wind. Have a look at this video.

Much better tents out there for the money.

These big daft "bike" tents 7 months 1 day ago #6

• Buggles
Ouch!

The tent has seen it's fair share of really bad weather (including one where they shut down the campground because the trees around the site were being blown down), without any problems (so far).

I love new kit, but given the lack of long trips I can't justify upgrading the tent.

These big daft "bike" tents 7 months 20 hours ago #7

• James
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 84
I'm a big fan of tunnel tents (I'm 6'2") but they don't make the Icarus 300 anymore. I've got bike tents to test but always had the issue of the bike falling on me syndrome! :dry:

As with any fibre pole tent, you have the risk of a snappage at some stage. But obviously the more stress on the pole the more the risk of that snap coming your way.

The Khyam looks cool, but I would the area for clothes and things and not a bike - the Pulsar looks a little low? You can dressed in that? I hate getting dressed on my back :lol: :lol:

These big daft "bike" tents 6 months 3 weeks ago #8

• Buggles
[quote="James" post=1365
The Khyam looks cool, but I would the area for clothes and things and not a bike - the Pulsar looks a little low? You can dressed in that? I hate getting dressed on my back :lol: :lol:[/quote]

The porch isn't meant for a bike, it wouldn't fit. It's meant to park gear (especially handy if your gear is wet). I can't get dressed standing up, but bent over I can make it work in the main tent. That said, I'm only 5'10, so it's easier for me :-)

JB

These big daft "bike" tents 6 months 3 weeks ago #9

• Yodagoat
The pulsar 300 is fine for me. Obviously it's too low to stand up in but I can get dressed fine in it and I'm 6'4.
The porch in both the Khyam and the Vango are for putting kit in or cooking in.

These big daft "bike" tents 6 months 2 weeks ago #10

• lmg
  • Thank you received: 86
As with most things, I have several. I have the Lonerider "bike" tent, and ive a Vango one whose name always escapes me. I would not put a bike in one for any money - but the space - just what the doctor ordered. I am quite tall at 6'4 in bare feet so I like a bit of extra room to get dressed in the mornings, and these fit the bill. Dont get me wrong - I wouldnt use them if I was touring, but if I am pitching up somewhere for a couple of nights - thats the tend I take.

Lonerider

Vango (this is the Stelvio which is the new version of my Tunturi 200)
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by lmg.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds