Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ride Out 14/10/2015 Tan Hill Inn

Ride Out 14/10/2015 Tan Hill Inn 2 years 1 month ago #1

• James
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 84
:ride: Hi Guys,

I'm meeting up with LMG tomorrow at the Tan Hill Inn to put the KTM 1290 Super Adventure through her paces - we are then going to be heading down to Hawes if anyone fancies meeting at the Inn we will be there 11am to 12noon and then we're off to play and of course to get some free cheese :brum:

I know this is short notice, so if you're there then you're there and we will get some more rides sorted with more notice in future... I'm feeling some green lane byways coming on.

Anyone up to speed in the North West of England region?

James
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by James.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ride Out 14/10/2015 Tan Hill Inn 2 years 1 month ago #2

• James
  • Administrator

Well it was off up to Tan Hill Inn via Kirby Stephen, always nice to pop into Takdoa campsite to see Paul Holroyd. Taking in the wonderful back roads up the the highest pub in England to meet a good mate... Mr LMG for a bit of chat and future events and stuff going on. After poking around the KTM 1290 SA and LMG on his BMW we head in for steak n ale pie with mash. Always a winner in my book but have to say that the suet crust could have supported the Ribblehead Viaduct!

Beautiful views today as there was no fog but not the best light with an overcast sky. Still, the KTM is looking stunning :)

LMG and I headed down to Hawes on the backroads and twisting down through the valley LMG bottomed out the GS on the centre stand, good effort. For big girls the KTM and BMW don't mind being thrown around a bit - loving the KTM's cornering lights.

At Hawes it was seperate ways time and I headed down to the Ribblehead Viaduct then Bentham and home via all those yummy twisty little field bordered roads. LMG headed back to Yorkshire.

Just a brief over view and I hope you can make the next ride out guys and gals.

Cheers

James

Ride Out 14/10/2015 Tan Hill Inn 2 years 1 month ago #3

• lmg
  • Thank you received: 86
I must echo what you said James, it was a cracking day. No, I am not retired - but I am fortunate enough to be able to "bunk off" if the need is there - and yesterday, that need was shouting loudly.

I opted to take the big GSA1200 as I am still "running her in" from the recent full restoration she went through, rather than take the more spritely Triumph Explorer 1200XC - and a good job too as some of those corners in the Yorkshire Dales come up with no warning and at least once on the ride from Tan Hill Inn to Hawes I crapped myself :)

I would like to throw out there that Tan Hill Inn is quite a remote place, but bugger me if the food isnt top notch. Whilst draining my bladder I was reading a notice above the trough saying that Top Gear tend to use the place as a HQ when they test drive sporty cars on the roads up here - it does have some real nice roads :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: James

Ride Out 14/10/2015 Tan Hill Inn 2 years 1 month ago #4

• lmg
Oh, and I took the opportunity to test a couple of cheapo pocket camera on the ride:

Samsung PL211 (16mp)

Nikon Coolpix S3300 (16mp)

Fuji Z9 (14mp)

Ride Out 14/10/2015 Tan Hill Inn 2 years 1 month ago #5

• lmg
Not particularly get image qualities if I am honest, but then the weather wasnt all that brilliant. I often get better photos on my Samsung Galaxy S5 (16mp) :whistle:

A couple more to round my photos off - and guess who forget to setup his helmet camera? :woohoo:

Ride Out 14/10/2015 Tan Hill Inn 2 years 1 month ago #6

• James
  • Administrator
The little camera system works rather well I thought. I'm glad I had one of mine as the battery on the Lumix had died and so had the spare! I have that new Windows phone and that knocks out a good picture too, send it then directly to facebook or email and is a nice bit of kit. Uses a lot of data to do that so always best for me to check if the pub we're in has some nice free WiFi.

I heard the Tan Hill may be shutting down but that was a few years back and great to see the place doing so well. Nice open fire, good food and great views over the moores. Old Peculiar... I assume is a beer? Was on the snowcat mobile outside and I did notice that the clock in the pub runs backwards!

You can't blame Top Gear for driving around that place! :cruise:

The roads are lush and the views are amazing. It brought out enough BMW riders that day anyway. The KTM got a lot of passing attention in the car park and on the road down to Hawes there are a few corners that snap off 90 to right after a crest, makes for interesting viewing... and grip response. B)

Ride Out 14/10/2015 Tan Hill Inn 2 years 1 month ago #7

• lmg
James wrote:
You can't blame Top Gear for driving around that place! :cruise:

so good its worth punching a producer in the face for B)

Ride Out 14/10/2015 Tan Hill Inn 2 years 1 month ago #8

• lmg
I think my "reducing" software deres's my pictures and a cropped version using snippet gives me this

Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by lmg.
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds